Thursday, July 26, 2012

Bible Study and Dessert... An Excellent Combination

Jeff and I found an amazing church almost 2 years ago called PORTICO. We meet at Key Elementary School is Arlington. Every Wednesday night we have "Community Group" with about 8 other people and we dig into the sermon preached on Sunday and share our thoughts and wrestle with the meaning of the text together. Before we dig into the Word, we always dig into something yummy! Last night was our night to bring dessert so I brought a Vegan Peach Cobbler. 

Why did I make it Vegan? Because one of the ladies in our group is a vegan.

Why did I make peach cobbler? Well, other than it being of my hubby's faves... my mom had given us A LOT of peaches the other day and I knew I needed to use them up somehow before they went bad faster than we could eat them.

So at this point I knew two things... I would make something vegan and it would involve peaches. Next I needed to figure out an actual dish and looked no further than Pinterest of course! I quickly found a yummy looking Vegan Peach Cobbler from Vegan Cowboy. The only thing I needed to make it "vegan approved" was the vegan butter so with a quick trip to the store (even our terribly stocked and small Giant had vegan butter... I was impressed!), I was on my way to making this delicious treat. Within about 20 minutes of prep and 40 minutes of baking... I had made a soon-to-be decided as "delicious" dessert. Piece of cake! (errr... cobbler) I wanted so badly to taste test the cobbler before bringing it to Community Group but unfortunately its one of those dishes that would be incredibly obvious if I had done a little taste test. "Oh ummm, that corner is missing, you're right. Uhh, its missing because, uhh.. the baking dish is just weird and never cooks in that corner." Yeah... that wouldn't work too well. So I just hoped for the best. I ended up bringing the dish home last night with maybe one servings worth of cobbler left. Turns out it was a hit!

I think people hear "vegan" and (if they aren't a vegan or knowledgeable about being a vegan) think, "Eww no.." But I couldn't even taste one little difference. In fact, I think it was even more delicious! :) I think the vegans might be on to something,,, something delicious!

I can't wait to try another vegan dessert next time... 







1 comment: